The Wisdom of Meatless Monday
Meatless Monday is a global movement made up of individuals and local communities that share a commitment to address the health and environmental consequences of a meat-centric diet.
The simplest actions can unify us the most. So join us in taking one step towards sustainability by going Meatless on this Monday!
Ingredients for Broccoli Quinoa Casserole:
- 2 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock, or water
- 2 Tbsp pesto sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder, or cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh organic spinach
- 12 oz skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets (or use frozen)
- 3 green onions, chopped
Directions for making Broccoli Quinoa Casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 400F. In a 9×13 rectangular baking dish place the quinoa and green onions. In the meantime, place the broccoli in a large bowl and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with a wire whisk, mix the vegetable stock, pesto, arrowroot powder and salt. Heat mixture until it boils. You can do this on your stove top or microwave
- Add the vegetable stock mixture to the quinoa followed by the spinach, parmesan and 3/4 of the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Take the quinoa casserole out of the oven and mix in the broccoli. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the quinoa and broccoli and place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.Optional: Add more parmesan cheese over the top and place the casserole under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown the top.