The Wisdom of Meatless Monday
Meatless Monday is a global movement made up of individuals and local communities that share a commitment to address the health and environmental consequences of a meat-centric diet.
The simplest actions can unify us the most. So join us in taking one step towards sustainability by going Meatless on this Monday!
Ingredients for making Chickpea Quinoa Burgers:
- 1 yam
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, tightly packed
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- a little flour, for dusting the burger patties
Directions for making Chickpea Quinoa Burgers:
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees.
- Poke several holes in the yam using a fork. Place the yam in a paper towel and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Flip the yam and microwave 5 minutes more, or until tender. Slip off the yam’s skin.
- Place 1 of the tablespoons of grapeseed oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until it begins to soften. Add the carrot and bell pepper to the pan and cook 3-5 minutes more, or until the veggies are just tender.
- Transfer the sautéed veggies to a food processor and pulse to chop. Add the spinach and pulse a few more times until combined. Transfer the veggies to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chickpeas and tahini to the food processor and pulse until broken down and combined. Transfer to the mixing bowl with the veggies.
- Add the cooked quinoa, yam, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds to the mixing bowl. Season the veggie quinoa mixture with the lemon juice, cumin and hot sauce, if using. Stir until well combined, taking care to ensure all ingredients are evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape the veggie quinoa mixture into 8 patties using your hands. Dust each patty with flour.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon grapeseed oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burger patties and cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until browned on both sides.
- Transfer the patties to a baking sheet and bake about 10-12 minutes more, or until cooked through. Enjoy!