The Wisdom of Meatless Monday
Meatless Monday is a global movement made up of individuals and local communities that share a commitment to address the health and environmental consequences of a meat-centric diet.
The simplest actions can unify us the most. So join us in taking one step towards sustainability by going Meatless on this Monday!
Ingredients for Corn and Black Bean Burritos:
- 1/4 cup scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced into ¼-inch wide circles, including green tops
- 1/4 cup celery, rinsed and finely diced
- 1 1/4 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (or substitute 2 tsp dried coriander)
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa or taco sauce (look for lowest sodium version)
- 12 (9-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
Directions for making Corn and Black Bean Burritos:
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine scallions, celery, and corn in a small saucepan. Add just enough water to cover.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes, until vegetables soften. Drain vegetables. Set aside to cool.
- Combine avocado, cilantro, and beans in a large mixing bowl. Add cheese and salsa, and mix.
- When corn mixture has cooled slightly, add to avocado mixture.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, warm each tortilla about 15 seconds on each side. Place each tortilla on a flat surface. Spoon ⅓ cup of the mixture into the center of the tortilla.
- Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling. Fold in the sides to make a closed packet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- When all tortillas are wrapped, continue heating in the oven 5 minutes, until all are warm and cheese is melted.