The Wisdom of Meatless Monday
Meatless Monday is a global movement made up of individuals and local communities that share a commitment to address the health and environmental consequences of a meat-centric diet.
The simplest actions can unify us the most. So join us in taking one step towards sustainability by going Meatless on this Monday!
Ingredients for making sweet potato frittata:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 sweet potato, sliced
- 5 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds, roasted
Directions for making sweet potato frittata:
- Place the olive oil in an 8 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the sweet potato and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked through and slightly crispy. Set aside.
- Pour the beaten eggs into a separate medium bowl. Stir in the milk and grated cheese. Season with the oregano, thyme, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the egg milk mixture and the sautéed sweet potato mixture to the skillet. Stir until the sautéed sweet potatoes are they evenly distributed in the egg mixture. Turn heat down to low and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the eggs are almost firm. Turn on the broiler.
- Place the skillet under the broiler for 1-3 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Set aside and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Loosen the frittata from the skillet by running a knife around the edges. Flip onto a platter and remove the skillet.
- Garnish with roasted sunflower seeds, cut into 4 slices and enjoy.