The Wisdom of Meatless Monday
Meatless Monday is a global movement made up of individuals and local communities that share a commitment to address the health and environmental consequences of a meat-centric diet.
The simplest actions can unify us the most. So join us in taking one step towards sustainability by going Meatless on this Monday!
Ingredients for making Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese Bake:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 13 oz. elbow macaroni noodles (whole wheat or gluten free if preferred)
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- 6 oz. four cheese blend (or sharp white cheddar)
- salt and pepper to taste
For the breadcrumb topping
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions for making Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese Bake:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil and add in the sweet potato that has been peeled and cubed up. Boil sweet potato for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes and then mash well. You should have ~2-2.5 cups of sweet potato.
- Next cook the elbow noodles according to the package.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan with onion and garlic. Cook for about 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk for 30 seconds and then slowly pour and whisk in the milk and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil and continue to whisk. Mixture should begin to thicken after 3-5 minutes.
- Place heat to low and mix in the mustard, salt, pepper, red pepper chili flakes, cheese and sweet potato. Stir well and then remove from heat.
- Add in the noodles and mix in well. Taste and adjust any seasonings you may want extra.
- Pour in a oven safe casserole dish and top with panko crumb/Parmesan cheese mixture.
- Place in oven, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, or until it gets bubbly.
Serve warm and enjoy!