The Wisdom of Meatless Monday
Meatless Monday is a global movement made up of individuals and local communities that share a commitment to address the health and environmental consequences of a meat-centric diet.
The simplest actions can unify us the most. So join us in taking one step towards sustainability by going Meatless on this Monday!
Ingredients for Three Sisters Stuffed Squash:
- For the Squash:
- 4 large acorn squash
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- To Prepare Filling:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 7 ounces fideo noodles
- 1 small brown onion, diced
- 1 medium Poblano pepper, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 3 cups spicy, canned tomato sauce (I suggest El Pato sauce) 2 Tablespoons lime juice (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 large mango, seeded, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- To Garnish:
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
Directions to create Three Sisters Stuffed Squash:
- To prepare the squash, cut each acorn squash in half through stem to bottom; discard seeds.
- Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender. This is a good time to make the filling. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the fideo noodles.
- Stir continuously over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the onion, pepper, carrot, and zucchini.
- Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and lime juice. Cook, stirring frequently until the noodles are al dente.
- Fold in the corn, beans, and mango. Heat just until everything is warm. Hold warm while you reheat the squash.
- Turn squash cut side up. Drizzle olive oil over the flesh of the squash; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes more or until heated through.
- Fill each squash half with one eighth of the fideo mixture. Garnish each with crema & cilantro.
- Serve immediately.