The Wisdom of Meatless Monday
Meatless Monday is a global movement made up of individuals and local communities that share a commitment to address the health and environmental consequences of a meat-centric diet.
The simplest actions can unify us the most. So join us in taking one step towards sustainability by going Meatless on this Monday!
Ingredients for Dijon Grilled Asparagus and Onions
For the Dijon vinaigrette:
- 1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the grilled asparagus and onions:
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 pound spring onions*, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
*Spring onions are sweet onion bulbs attached to greens found in farmer’s markets and the produce section of grocery stores in Spring and Summer.
Directions for Dijon Grilled Asparagus and Onions
To make the Dijon vinaigrette:
- Whisk the sliced shallot, vinegar, olive oil and Dijon mustard together in a small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To complete the Dijon Grilled Asparagus & Onions:
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Toss the trimmed asparagus and halved onions in a large bowl with the tablespoon of olive oil, taking care to ensure all ingredients are evenly coated.
- Place the asparagus spears and spring onions onto the heated grill, taking care to place the green portion of the spring onions on a cooler part of the grill. Grill, rotating every 2 minutes or so for about 6 minutes, or until the asparagus are tender.
- Plate the asparagus and onions on a large platter. Drizzle with the Dijon Vinaigrette, divide into 8 portions and enjoy!